I came up with this recipe last year around the holidays and it’s still one of my favorites. The fresh herbs pair perfectly with the sausage and apples and the ciabatta bread adds a unique, rustic quality to the dish.
Turkey Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
All you need:
1 ciabatta bread loaf, cubed
1 multigrain baguette, cubed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 lb. turkey breakfast sausage
4 celery stalks, sliced thin
5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 apple (any sweet variety), diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup turkey stock
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Salt and pepper, to taste
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until slightly crisp.
2. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add sausage and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until no longer pink.
3. Add celery and fresh herbs and cook 2 minutes longer.
4. Place toasted bread cubes in a large bowl and top with the sausage and herb mixture.
5. Top with diced apple, cranberry and fresh parsley.
6. Add 1 cup turkey stock and melted butter and toss to combine.
7. Place mixture in a 13×9 pan and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
Like this? Share with friends!